Terms & Conditions
Conditions of Rental
All vehicles are rented subject to Terms and Conditions of the Rental Agreement
which must be signed by all renters. This site is for information purposes only.
Rates are quoted in South Africa Rands (ZAR). Rates, conditions and information
are subject to change without notice. Rates include maintenance, oil and VAT,
but exclude fuel.
Minimum Rental charge
The minimum rental period is 24 hours. Rentals are charged in periods of 24
hours from the date and time of checkout. A 24-hour (one day) minimum charge
Certain groups and or models may not be available at a particular branch. Models
are subject to availability.
Extension of Rental
Extension of rentals beyond the original date must be authorised by Rental
Company. If an extension is required, please contact African Welcome during
office hours (weekdays) by telephone or email in order to qualify for these
discounted rates. If the extension is made directly with Rental Company, then
the more expensive Rental Company extension rates will be charged. Failure to
comply with this procedure will result in renter driving the vehicle without
Collision Damage Waiver and/or Theft Protection and without lawful permission.
The minimum age for drivers is 23. Please refer to Young Driver details for
renters under the age of 23. There is no maximum age. Drivers must be in
possession of a valid, unendorsed licence. Whilst driving, clients are required
to have their driver’s licence in their possession at all times.
A renter who is under the age of 23, but has been in the possession of a valid,
unendorsed driver’s licence for at least 2 years will be approved to hire the
vehicle. R100.00 per driver, per day will be charged.
Forms of payment
Rentals will only be granted to holders of a major credit card i.e. American
Express, Diners Club, Visa and MasterCard. For rentals, authorisation will be
Standard/Super Insurance Cover
All vehicles have insurance cover
Standard Cover – Non-waivable excess applies
Super Cover – Non-waivable excess applies.
Full Cover - NIL EXCESS APPLIES
The renter will be liable for the full value of the damage and or loss where
such damage or loss is sustained in circumstances including but not limited to
- As a result of driver negligence
- Where the vehicle is driven by an unauthorised driver i.e. a driver not
specified as a driver or additional driver in the Rental Agreement.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances.
- Failure to obtain authorization from African Welcome to extend the
- Where accidents are not reported within 24 hours to the nearest police
station or to The Rental Company within 6 hours.
- Where the vehicle has been taken beyond the borders of South Africa
without the written permission of the Rental Company.
- Not being able to produce the keys in case of theft unless exceptional
- Not reporting the exact details of the last known location of the vehicle
prior to the theft.
- Collisions where no other vehicle, person, animal or object is involved.
- Where there has been a material breach of The Terms and Conditions of the
- Not adhering to the traffic, road and driving rules and regulations.
- Unsuitable driving or road conditions.
Acceptance of Insurance does not cover the renter for damage to or loss of
tyres, rims and hubcaps, for damage to windscreens, for water and under-carriage damage
or for towing charges.
Personal belongings are not covered by the insurance provided.
Personal Accident Insurance
This insurance covers the renter and passengers of the rental vehicle up to a
maximum of R20 000 per incident, in the event of death or permanent disability
resulting from a collision with another vehicle.
Over Border Rentals
Written permission from The Rental Company is required before taking a vehicle
beyond the borders of South Africa. An “over border” fee will be charged by
The Rental Company for excursions into Mozambique, and by the Namibian
government (charged at the border) for trips into Namibia. A drop-off charge is
levied for rentals terminating outside South Africa.
- Vehicles are allowed into Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Swaziland and
- Vehicles are not allowed into Angola, Zambia or Zimbabwe.
The following exceptions apply:
- South Africa to Namibia, Botswana and Mozambique – to specific vehicles.
Additional over border fees
- A non-refundable fee of R1000 will be levied for vehicles crossing into
- All foreign registered vehicles entering Namibia will have to pay a cross
border charge. A Cross Border Certificate will be issued by the Namibian
authorities and must be kept in the glove compartment or handed to the
Rental Company representative.
- Whilst travelling in Botswana or Mozambique, permitted vehicles are
subject to an excess of depending on type of vehicle.
- A penalty fee of up to R5000 may be levied if the documentation is not
One Way Rentals
For rentals terminating at a location that is a distance of 150km or more
away from the original renting branch, a R330 one-way fee applies. For rentals
that pickup in the Garden Route and terminate in Cape Town, a R500 one-way fee
applies. For rentals that pickup in Gauteng and terminate outside Gauteng, a
R500 one-way fee applies.
For rentals terminating outside South Africans borders a one way fee applies:
- South Africa to Botswana - SA to Kasane/Maun R2500; SA to Gaborone/FrancisTown
- South Africa to Namibia - R3300
- South Africa to Swaziland - R1000
Delivery & Collection
A delivery and/or collection fee may be levied. In addition any toll fees or
game park entrance fees will be billed.
- 25km or less, R110
- Over 25km an additional cost will apply
After hours, weekends and public holidays
- 25km or less, R220
- Over 25km an additional cost will apply
A contract fee of R25 per rental will be charged directly to the client at point
No Show Fee
A no show fee will be equivalent to the extension daily rate for that group of
Additional charges / Handling fees
All fines and penalties incurred during the rental period are for the renter's
own account. In addition a R250 handling fee will be levied on traffic penalties
incurred. Loss of keys will result in an applicable charge being levied. A valet
charge of R350 may be levied on dirty vehicles. If there is loss of or damage to
the vehicle, a claim handling fee of R400 will be charged on termination of the
Deposits - Excess and Fuel
A deposit for fuel of R1000 is required on initiation of the rental.
Additional Driver Surcharges
- Additional drivers are charged at R120 per rental per driver.
- Child seats are charges at R130 per rental per seat, for children of age
- Second Spare Wheels at R550 per rental per wheel.
Clients do not qualify for Frequent Flyer miles
Each rented vehicle leaves with a full tank and the renter pays for refuelling on
return. Each vehicle is refuelled on termination regardless of whether or not the
fuel gauge indicates that the vehicle is full.
The client would be required to supply the following:
- Reservation number
- Credit card
- Name, address, telephone number and email address
- Local contact details
- Driver's licence and passport
What to do in case of a breakdown
- Contact African Welcome on (021)762 4004 immediately.
- Emergency SOS telephones are conveniently located on most major highways
(South Africa only).
- Client is not to replace or repair any vehicle parts unless authorised by
What to do in the event of an accident/theft
- Contact African Welcome immediately.
- A full report must be made to the nearest Police Station within 24 hours.
where an accident has occurred and 6 hours in case of theft.
- A case number must be obtained.
- Tax is included in the rates but may be subject to change in accordance
with Government Legislation in which case rates will be adjusted accordingly